July 8, 2014

Overcoming Let Down by Looking Up

A door is open right in front of you. It is within your grasp, only a finger tip away. Then it slams shuts on your fingers and hurts (your feelings). Could it be that when we see what looks like an a open door may in fact be a mirage?  It is there to delay you.

My husband and I have seen many mirages since we have been married. We wanted so bad to be in full-time ministry that we were blinded by the dream of being in ministry. The dreams and passions that the Lord put in our hearts was turned into doubt, like it was too far fetched.  We were on a mission to be in ministry. Any opportunity that would open we would pursue.  Now, I don't recommend nor is this the best method to get where God wants you to go.

Along the way, we had some ups and downs.  Some great times, some bad times.  We have hit the bottom and then felt an avalanche fall right on top of us.  But, out of the rubble the Lord has brought out something beautiful.  We have learned from so many lessons.  It took years to get where God wanted us to be and I will tell you, I would not give back our trials and tribulations for anything.  Because out of them we have grown spiritually, learned our limits, and learned that we could only depend on God for our needs.  Through this, Jonathan and I have grown closer to each other.

God has gifted you with talents, abilities and passions for a reason.  Do not take it lightly.  You were made with a purpose and God has a plan for your life.  He did not make a mistake when He gave you your talents.  Whatever it may be, God has entrusted it to you!  Exciting and terrifying at the same time.  Isn't it?

I Peter 4:10 - Each of you should use whatever you have received to serve others as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms.

One of my mentors reminded me of another verse when my husband and I were struggling to find God's will for us and that was I Peter 5:10 - "and the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast.
That was a great encouragement to us.  What a promise from the God of all grace.  Though it has felt like we have suffered for more than a little while, at the same time, He has kept his promise.

I feel that sometimes we go through these struggles to remind us that we need to humble ourselves before our Lord.  I Peter 5:5-6 says "...and God apposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.  Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand that He may lift you up in due time."  There it is again: due time.

When you are trying to seek God's will, or even follow God, it is sometimes lonely.  Whether it be unsupportive family members or other Christians who put you down because they don't believe in you or your passion.  I personally have had both.  Galatians 6:7 says, "do not be deceived.  God cannot be mocked.  A man reaps what he sows."

If God gave you your gifts, talents and passion to serve, then who are these people to tell you what you're not.  In a way, they are mocking God.  If they are sowing into you negativity, doubt and discouragement, I think it is safe to say they are not reaping any fruit in their walk with God.  It goes on to say in Galatians 6:9-10 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."  There it is again: proper time.  But what are we to do until then?  Stay calm and keep on doing ministry!  Use the gifts, talents and passions He has given you.  And don't forget to support and encourage your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ!

Okay.  So if you go to a church that is not supportive of you or is not helping you grow spiritually in your gifts, then GET OUT NOW!!  They aren't following what God wants them to do as Christians and they will rub off on you.  You need to find a good supporting church that practices what it preaches (if they even preach this).  "Remain in the word, be steadfast in your prayers and giving all control to the Lord." - Romans 12:12.

Pray this for yourself:

Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank You for the promises You have for me.  Thank You that you have given me these desires to use for Your glory.  Lord, You said to delight myself in You and You will give me the desires of my heart.  Lord, I pray that I will seek You all the days of my life so I can serve You in the ways You have gifted me.  Lord, please give me discernment  to know when something is Your truth and not the opinions of my oppressors.  Lord, please put Godly, biblical people in my life to help me grow and develop the gifts You have entrusted me with.  Give me the faith to not give up in furthering Your Kingdom.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment